Charlton Traffic Safety Education Centre
– The track is 1 km, 700m sealed and the rest gravel. It features operating traffic lights, pedestrian crossing, hill crest, roundabout and parking bays.
– 4 vehicles are used for the program, 2 are manual sedans and 2 are automatic.
The complex offers a variety of programs:
•1 day short course
•2 day program
•3 or 4 day program
•Night driving programs are part of the course if desired.
– The core program is targeted at Year 10 students, most who are pre learner drivers (L’s)
– The other main program caters for VCAL students, most who have their L’s.
From 2002 through to 2014 between 700 to 1000 students each year undertook pre-driver training at Charlton.
– Depending on the length of the program the following skills can be covered:
– Cabin Drill, moving off, Steering, Braking
– Road position, Left and right turn, gear change, observation
– U Turn, Reversing
– Convoy Drive, Gear Change, Roundabout
– Angle park and hill start
– Overtaking, cornering lines, gear change
– Parallel park and 3 point turn
– Night Driving and negotiating traffic lights
– For programs of 2 or more days a practical test can be included
There is now a big emphasis on attitudes to driving in the theory component.
Depending on the length of the program the following theory can be covered:
– Road toll statistics
– Steering and system of car control
– Traffic rules and regulations and signs
– Lane positioning, U turns and 3 point turns
– Observation and planning, highway and freeway driving
– Overtaking and cornering
– Alcohol and drugs
– Night driving
– For programs of 2 or more days a theory test ( similar to the L’s theory test ) can be included.
Other Programs Offered By CHARTSEC
– Driving programs for adult migrants new to the country.
– Individual driving programs through Employment agencies.
– L2P – provision of professional lessons and housing of the L2P car at CHARTSEC.
Manager: Mr Brett Schofield
Mobile: 0488 912 147